Following the easing of restrictions in the Northwest Territories (NWT), the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) has reopened the Business Stream of the Northwest Territories Provincial Nominee Program ( PNNT).
The Business Stream is an option for foreign nationals who want to buy or open a business in the NWT. Applicants should visit the community of interest in person to ensure they are familiar with the area, its opportunities and challenges. These visits were impossible at the height of the pandemic, causing a temporary pause in the program when applications were received. The application process is a substantial engagement, and exploratory visits are essential to understanding the NWT business environment.
The NTNP is the immigration program used by the Government of the Northwest Territories in conjunction with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). It is administered by the Ministries of Industry, Tourism and Investment, and Education, Culture and Employment.
Between 2015 and 2020, 17 foreign nationals opened businesses in the Northwest Territories.
“As we continue to fulfill our mandate to diversify the NWT economy, we are creating new opportunities for innovation, investment and jobs. The reopening of the Business Stream will help take advantage of the opportunities generated by diversification, providing a ready environment for new businesses. It also gives us the privilege of welcoming new residents to the Northwest Territories and Canada.
– Caroline Wawzonek, Minister of Industry, Tourism and Investment
I am pleased that we are able to reopen the Business Stream of the Northwest Territories Provincial Nominee Program. This program is essential for foreign nationals wishing to open, purchase or invest in a business in the NWT, bringing benefits to residents and communities throughout the territory. I hope to see even more participation in this important program in the future.
– R.J. Simpson, Minister of Education, Culture and Employment
- The NTNP has two program streams for immigrating to the NWT:
- The employer-focused stream offers assistance to employers who wish to appoint and fill labor gaps when there are no Canadians or permanent residents available.
- The Business Stream provides assistance to foreign nationals who wish to start a business in the NWT, purchase an existing business in the NWT, or invest in and operate an existing business in the NWT.
- The majority of approved businesses were opened in the service sector (retail trade, tourism and catering).
- 16 candidates have been nominated for permanent residency to date.
Media inquiries, please contact:
Senior Strategic Advisor, Communications
Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment
Government of the Northwest Territories
(867) 767-9202 ext. 63039