The Planner I – Program Development works in conjunction with and supports the program development team at the Palm Beach Transportation Planning Agency (TPA). The primary responsibilities of the position include the creation and maintenance of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) datasets, maps and graphics. The position also requires supporting the development and implementation of the TPA’s Long Term Transportation Plan (LRTP) and Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), as well as the identification and implementation of projects under the TPA’s National Road Alterations and Local Initiatives funding programs. All work is carried out with considerable independence and initiative under the direction of the Deputy Director of Program Development.
Job duties include:
- Create and maintain GIS datasets, maps and graphs to support transportation-related analysis and web-based data presentations.
- Support the development and implementation of the APT’s Long Term Transportation Plan (LRTP), including the creation of GIS project data, participation in regional planning and modeling efforts, and the creation of socio-forecasts -economic based on land use plans and population and employment trends.
- Support Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) development, including creating GIS project data, developing revenue forecasts, calculating performance metrics, and documenting compliance with federal and state regulations.
- Support the identification and implementation of projects in the TPA’s National Highway Alterations and Local Initiatives funding programs, including reviewing applications, conducting field reviews of project locations and review of design plans.
- Participate in corridor planning, multimodal planning, and transportation and land use planning.
- Perform other transportation and land use planning duties to support TPA objectives and meet state and federal requirements.
- Prepare maps and graphs to support TPA’s performance management initiatives.
- Maintain and analyze transportation data using ESRI suite.
- Create and design maps, data visualizations, charts, and documents using the ESRI Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and/or Adobe Creative Suite.
- Prepare and present information to the TPA Board of Directors, Advisory Committees, external bodies and the public.
- Oversee assigned consultant work orders.
- Collaborate with TPA staff, consultants, local governments, partner agencies, key stakeholders and the public in transportation planning.
- Provide technical and advisory assistance to local governments and agencies on issues related to pedestrian, cyclist and transit planning.
- Perform updates to the TPA website.
- Participate in partner agency committees.
- Participate in public outreach and education activities to share information and gather public feedback.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned to meet the needs of the agency.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the above essential duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education and experience:
- A bachelor’s degree in urban/regional planning, transportation engineering or a related field is required.
- Masters or other advanced degree in urban/regional planning or related field is preferred.
- One (1) year or more of experience in urban/regional planning, transportation engineering or related field is preferred.
- A graduate degree in urban/regional planning or a related field may demonstrate one (1) year of experience.
- GIS experience is preferred.
- Experience working with a metropolitan planning organization is preferred.
- Certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must have or obtain a valid Florida driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record.
The TPA offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits, including paid time off and TPA-funded insurance, retirement, transportation, and tuition reimbursement.
The full job description can be viewed at PalmBeachTPA.org/jobs.